Thursday 19 July 2012

Real life networks


I’m a member of CILIP, and have been since I became a graduate student. It’s a good way to keep up with libraries in other sectors, as well as providing interesting articles and news and (used to be, before economic meltdown) a good source of job possibilities. I’m also planning to charter eventually, though that depends on when I can find the money to pay for it. I’d like to attend a meet-up at some point, but it’d have to be close-by to me, because travelling is very expensive nowadays.

One thing I’ve noticed, though, is that they do a sliding scale for membership rates, and I’m not impressed by this. Well, I like the idea, but the bands are quite narrow in terms of pay, and quite wide in terms of membership fee for each. I can’t help feeling that it would be more fair to extend the bands further up the pay scale (the current upper limit is at around £20,000 pa, which is the starting wage for a new professional) to make it more reflective of different levels of professional pay. I daresay those earning more than me would disagree with this, though!

I also joined LIHNN when I started my current job, which has provided me with plenty of training and CPD opportunities, for which I’m extremely grateful.

I’ve actually mainly networked by going to training events and conferences, where I’ve met a good variety of people. It’s nice to see familiar faces, and meeting those people means I can meet more people through them. This is the best way I've found to network in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment