Wednesday 20 June 2012

My thoughts on Thing 4:


I’m getting behind in doing CPD23 and these posts, but I’m now trying to catch up. To be fair, the reason I’m behind is that I went on my (long-awaited) honeymoon, and I had a pile of work to do when I came back. So bear with me, dear reader (if there are any…).

This blog is about Thing 4 – Twitter, Storify and RSS feeds. Well, I’ve learnt how to use RSS feeds through Google reader because my job has just started to demand it, for gathering information for current awareness bulletins (now all I’ve got to do is get into the habit of actually using them).

Twitter. I set up an account a few months back, with every intention of using it. Problem is, I can’t think of anything to say on it. Being restricted to 140 characters is off-putting; as people may have noticed, I’m not exactly known for my brevity of writing, which is linked to trying to describe things in detail in my story writing. Even if I were to use Twitter more, the people I really need to get through to on it (my client base, as it were) might not use it, being busy community-based healthcare professionals, who probably don’t have a Twitter account themselves, and if they do, check it less than I do. So what I need to do is figure out is:
            1: how to reach those people first, so that they know to set up accounts if needed and then follow me
            2: how to get round the restrictions my trust has on using social media (yes, we’re back to that problem).
            3: what’s worthwhile to tweet.

I could get round 2 by doing it at home, and part of my job is making contact with the people in 1, but getting busy professionals to take time out of their lives to read my blatherings is going to take a miracle. Mind you, you’re doing it, so maybe miracles do happen…

I’d never even heard of Storify before I started this Thing. It looks like quite an interesting application, though it seems to do the same as other online programs such as Facebook (especially now that the new Timeline has been introduced). It’s also blocked in my trust, both of which mean I’ll have to think hard about how I could put it to use (if at all). 

4 comments:

  1. I guess the main difference between Storify and Facebook timeline is that you don't need to be friends with someone to share your story with them - with Storify you can selectively share what you create rather Facebook where it's pretty much all or nothing.

    The other nice thing about Storify is that you can rearrange the content of your story in any order you like, rather than Facebook timeline which is limited to chronological order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, thanks Annie. I'll have to think about practical uses for it in my job, then...

      Delete
  2. I sympathise with your access problems! And am enjoying reading your blog. Find it interesting that you're struggling with the brevity of Twitter given your writing style (I'm also a writer). Hopefully it will ultimately only be good for your writing, even if it feels uncomfortable or very difficult? (Just thinking of tips people have given me in the past about trying to summarise what I'm writing into a 500 word synopsis or even a sentence, just for the hell of it - always found it excruciating, but I'm sure it's an ultimately helpful exercise. Now, with this CPD23, am starting to think that anything I find remotely challenging or intimidating is something I should therefore do as soon as possible! Like Twitter...). All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Owlpop, thanks for replying! I've found I'm not too bad at condensing writing down or rephrasing when I need to, but yes, it does take practice. I still haven't really got into using Twitter, because it's blocked at my Trust. I really should do it at home, though. And your advice on doing things straight away if they seem challenging is a very good idea. I'll try to remember to put it to the test. Happy blogging and writing!

      Delete